Autism and Sensory-Friendly Vacation
World Autism Month and The SkyWheel
April is World Autism Month! A national public awareness campaign to raise autism awareness and increase access to the opportunity for individuals with autism. Myrtle Beach helps to provide a world-class destination for all, and we’re proud of our role in this global initiative. This includes the SkyWheel in Myrtle Beach! Each year, the SkyWheel lights up our wheel with red, blue, and yellow in celebration of autism awareness. took this celebration one step further and lit the wheel with autism colors of red, blue and yellow! If you’re looking to celebrate your vacation in Myrtle Beach, here are a few autism and sensory-friendly vacation ideas for your stay on the Grand Strand.
- The beach is for everyone. Visit Myrtle Beach is committed to making the beach a safe, accessible place for all guests. With the Champion Autism Network (CAN) and TravelAbility, they have launched The Beach is for everyBODY: Sensory-Friendly Pledge initiative. With more than 150 participating businesses, the Grand Strand supports and welcome guests with autism and other neurodiverse disabilities.
- Myrlte Beach offers the Autism Travel Card offered by CAN (formerly the CAN Card). This card is a way to identify to businesses that your family includes someone with specific needs. It is a simple way for guests to identify their family is one that includes someone with autism, without needing to say a word. This membership card also allows visitors to take part in special service or discount to those who carry the card. These cards are available by visiting the Autism Travel Club website and paying a $7 fee for an annual membership.
Sensory-Friendly Environments and Activities
- Many participating hotels in Myrtle Beach create a safe, sensory-friendly experience for families with children on the Autism Spectrum. We are committed to providing families with children who have sensory needs with a sense of security and comfort throughout their vacation. There are 15 hotel properties of Myrtle Beach that are here to help make your holiday extra special – with room placements, removing trigger items from rooms, coordinating unique experiences and more.
- Diners with special needs can enjoy the full experience at participating locations by requesting table service, where waiters seat guests in a quiet space, expedite meals and check outs as needed. They are trained to handle potential sensory-overload situations with understanding and compassion.
- yrtle Beach attractions offer fun and exciting experiences for families that present the Autism Travel Card. Examples of the available experiences include our very own SkyWheel Myrtle Beach where families receive expedited attraction access along with discounted tickets and Ripley’s Aquarium of Myrtle Beach where noise-cancelling headphones and special pricing are available.
Take A Ride On The SkyWheel
If you’re planning your sensory-friendly vacation, the SkyWheel is a unique option for your whole family! You can purchase your tickets online for any time. You can even reserve your VIP Experience with first-class service at new heights. Come experience the height of Myrtle Beach attractions at SkyWheel. Question? Give us a call at 843.839.9200